I got together with some mini scientists/creators and we made Halloween inspired pumpkin slime. Tis the season! It is important to have an air tight container for your slime. Why not make it super cute and fall themed?
What you will need for this project:
- Playside Creations interlocking containers -Also found at Hobby Lobby
- wine corks
- Sharpie Markers
- green or brown pipe cleaners and a pencil
- orange glitter glue
- warm water
- liquid starch (also found at grocery stores in USA)
- orange glitter, orange food coloring optional
- hot glue gun & glue stick
- mixing bowl and large craft stick or spoon
Making the slime:
- Pour glitter glue into mixing bowl.
- Pour equal amount of warm water into bowl, stir.
- This is where you can add more glitter or food coloring if you wish. Not necessary, if you already have orange glitter glue.
- Add equal amount of liquid starch, stirring the whole time. (Example 1/4 cup glue, 1/14 cup water, 1/4 cup liquid starch.)
- Work with the slime using your hands. It will get less sticky and easier to handle. You can always add more liquid starch if it seems to sticky.
Making your pumpkin:
- Color a wine cork with green or brown marker.
- Hot glue the “stem” onto the container.
- Curl a pipe cleaner using a pencil.
- Twist around the stem.
- Fill with slime.
In the first class, we added styrofoam balls to add texture. I wouldn’t recommend doing that. The balls help create a cool texture, but the white stood out, and floated to the top when slime settled. I do think it may be cool to add some flaxseed for a fun added texture element, if desired.
For more Halloween STEAM check out:
Dry Ice Bubble Crystal Ball :: Science Kiddo
Frankenstein’s Frozen Brain Halloween Science Activity :: Little Bins for Little Hands
5 Little Pumpkins STEAM Activity :: Preschool Powol Packets
Shrunken Heads Halloween Science Experiment :: Share It! Science
Tensile Strength Experiment | Find the Strongest Spider Web :: From Engineer to Stay at Home Mom